Our medical malpractice Michigan lawyers will help you if you believe that your loved one has suffered injuries due to a medication mistake or error. The negligent medical provider may be liable for significant damages for the failure to provide appropriate treatment, especially when the injuries and damages caused by the improper treatment are substantial. We handle cases involving injuries and deaths caused by medication errors and mistakes at a nursing home, assisted living facility, long term care facility or even hospitals.
In many cases, the patient is either prescribed the wrong medication, given the wrong drug, or provided with the wrong dose of the medication. The results are often devastating, causing severe illness and even death.
Preventing Medical Mistakes & Errors In a Michigan Nursing Home
Below is a list ways nursing homes can help prevent medication mistakes and errors from occurring.
- a safety culture is pivotal to improving medication safety (encourage voluntary reporting)
- senior management must devote adequate attention to safety
- provide sufficient resources to quality improvement and safety teams
- authorize resources to invest in technologies, such as computerized provider order entry (CPOE) and electronic health records
How Can Prescribers Help?
Listed below are ways prescribers can contribute to helping reduce the number of medication mistakes and errors.
- use sound medical reconciliation techniques
- avoid verbal orders except in emergencies
- avoid abbreviations (U for units seen as a 0)
- inform patients of reasons for all medications
- work as a team with consultant pharmacists and nurses
- use special caution with high-risk medication
- report errors and ADEs
How Can Nurses Help?
Listed below are ways nurses can contribute to helping reduce the number of medication mistakes and errors.
- foster a commitment to patients’ rights (YOU are the patient’s advocate)
- be prepared and confident in questioning medication orders
- participate in, or lead, evaluations of the efficacy of new safety systems and technology
- support a culture that values accurate reporting of medication errors
Contact Your Michigan Nursing Home Medication Mistake and Errors Attorney
Our experienced attorneys handle cases against facilities for medication errors on behalf of injured resident or family member. For more information on your legal rights after medication errors in Michigan nursing home, call our experienced expert attorneys at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. now at (800) 606-1717. We will represent you and your family in your medication error case under our NO FEE PROMISE, which means no legal fees or costs until we prove and win your case.