Nursing Home Neglect Lawsuit Brought Against For-Profit Nursing Home Facility
Nursing home neglect was the source of one class-action lawsuit against a for-profit nursing home group. Patients were found to have suffered various forms of neglect and abuse including malnutrition, infections, left in soiled clothing, missed meals and poor hygiene. The nursing home was being labeled as negligent due to being understaffed and unable to provide adequate care for their residents.
Another recent lawsuit, settled out of court, accused a New York for-profit nursing home of contributing to the death of the patient by reducing staff to maximize their revenue. The patient, who died, suffered from bed sores, infections and malnutrition. She also broke her hip twice, fell three times, and underwent other medical issues. These instances of nursing home abuse are occurring throughout the country, giving many professionals and government agencies cause for concern.
When it comes to your loved ones, you want nothing but the best possible care for them. When the time comes where they can no longer care for themselves, you will want to ensure you choose the best possible Michigan nursing home for them to reside in. Always remember to research each facility thoroughly before making any decisions on where your loved one will be making their new home. There are also many other factors you will want to consider when making this important decision. These factors include:
- Location: Will my loved one be close and convenient to where I live?
- Staffing: Is the staff approachable and caring? How many different staff members will be taking care of my family member? How many patients is one staff member assigned?
- Special Care for Special Needs: How will my loved ones special needs be handled? Who will be administering medication? How is bathing dealt with when my loved one is unable? What if my loved one develops Alzheimer’s or another disease?
- Home Sweet Home: Will my loved one feel at home? Is the facility kept clean and tidy? Is there security?
- Things to do: What type of activities can the residents get involved in? Do they offer: movies, musical events, classes (educational and / or exercise), religious services? How accessible is the closest store? Are there on staff people to transport residents?
- Rooms: How are rooms distributed? Are private rooms available and what are the costs? How are the rooms furnished?
- Care Plans: How is individual care plans implemented? Is there a certain physician that must be used by all residents? How often is the physical available?
- Mealtime: Are residents able to eat in a common room or in their own room if desired? Do residents have a way to reheat meals, if needed?
- Financial: What is considered an “extra” cost? What is included in the cost of care?
Nursing home neglect happens in many forms, but all of it is damaging in some way; whether it be emotionally, physically, or financially. Our Michigan nursing home lawyers are experienced and trained to advocate for your loved ones, if neglect occurs. When the time comes, the decision to place your loved one in a nursing home must be a carefully thought-out. Elderly abuse occurs all too often. The thought of it is troubling, however if you suspect this is happening to your loved one, it is very important that you contact an experienced nursing home neglect lawyer immediately.
Call our award winning law firm office now at (800) 606-1717 to speak to one of our experienced Michigan nursing home neglect attorneys if you or a loved one is being abused or neglected. We will discuss your case with you so that you understand your legal rights and start working on your case immediately, gathering all the evidence and medical records necessary to prove and win your case. Call today for your free consultation!